Are you exhausted and disgusted by the results of our so-called “two party system”? Do you think it’s time for the people to get real choice and real power back? Would you like to be able to do something toward this end, that doesn’t involve violence or breaking any laws? Read on.

Just look at the ridiculous state of our “union.” Do you wonder why every election comes down to the 51% dictating the next four years to the other 49%? Because you’re being misled when you’re told that one party “won” and the other party “lost” — what’s really is happening is that the big money corporate elitist establishment wins all of the time. This is because both “parties” have rigged the system against anyone else running against them.

damned2

source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/97/f7/5c/97f75c2b0a1bceb309326603ab2a6f6b.jpg

In most states, a so-called “third party” (that is, one that is not currently in power) has to perform all kinds of Herculean efforts just to get on the ballot! The Demopublicans are somehow spared these trials. In addition, the Demopublicans control the configuration of the voting districts and the debates.

Not only that, there is also a math/economics problem with our existing system. The problem (called “first past the post” voting) is excellently explained in this video:

first_past_the_post

Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that we will change our method of voting, especially since it supports those who are already in power.

Would you like actual choices in the future? Here is a formula that will get us there.

Would you like actual choices in the future? Here is a formula that will get us there:

  1. Pick a “third” (or “fourth”) party that you seem to have a leaning toward. Let’s say it’s the Green Party (for sake of the discussion).
  2. Figure out which side of the “Demopublicans” are furthest from your preferred position — so, in this example, probably the Republicans.
  3. Register for that establishment party — yes, the one farthest away from your ideal. In this example, you would register Republican.
  4. When it comes time for the primaries, vote for the weakest candidate in the party you registered for. Specifically, vote for the non-incumbent if an incumbent is running.
  5. If enough people participate, the weakest candidate will win the nomination.
  6. In the general election, vote for your actual preferred party (in this example, the Green Party candidate).

So, if you lean libertarian, you would register Democrat, vote for the worst candidate in the primary, then vote Libertarian in the general.

If enough people take this approach, the so-called “third” parties will begin to pick up more and more votes and potentially start winning. In addition, the establishment parties will find it harder and harder to raise money (who’s going to give money to a party that they dislike?) and to predict which districts are “safe” etc.

“But wait a second!” I hear you cry — “What about the ‘strategic voting’ problem?” (as explained in the video). The strategic voting problem is only a problem if you really think that there is any difference between the two major parties. If you become convinced (as I have) that there really is no difference — that year after year the problems are the same no matter who wins — then there isn’t any reason to vote strategically (except in the primaries, as described above).

The strategic voting problem is only a problem if you really think that there is any difference between the two major parties.

A lot of people are advocating lodging a “protest” vote, but this is not enough. We have to degrade and ultimately destroy the political parties that continue to dupe the public into thinking we have an actual choice when we vote. In addition, we have to start in local districts so as to begin to get some balance in the structure of congressional districts.

This approach is, as I see it, the only ethical, and perhaps effectual, way to proceed.

 

Advertisements